In a nutshell
tranSMART is an open source platform for storing and exchanging data and testing hypotheses. For the past few year, tranSMART has been conquering the space of data warehousing solutions. It enables the analysis of a variety of data types, including phenotypic and omics data, as well as medical records.
It was originally developed in 2009, and subsequently open sourced, by Janssen R&D.
In 2013 a number of partners, including the Pistoia Alliance, University of Michigan and Imperial College London established the tranSMART foundation. This foundation was created as a non-profit organization, providing a global open source (and open data) knowledgement platform for scientists from over 300 industry and academic institutions. In May 2017, the tranSMART Foundation merged with the i2b2 Foundation to create an organization with the key mission to advance the field of precision medicine.
tranSMART use cases
As mentioned earlier, tranSMART is a data integration, sharing and analysis platform for clinical and translational research. It combines advanced and constantly developing analytics and a web interface, thereby allowing easy access to explore data from multiple domains and studies.
Recent developments implemented by The Hyve include:
- cross-study and ontology term support
- support for modeling time series and sample data, including longitudinal and EHR data
- support for large data storage and analysis
tranSMART is a great solution when you need to answer questions like:
- How many patients from study X have condition 1?
- How many patients from study X have condition 1, do not have condition 2 and are older than 50?
- Does study X or study Y contain more female patient with a set of conditions 1, 2 and 3?
- Is there a correlation between condition 1 and condition 2 in cohort N of study X?
- And many more.
The community around tranSMART is dynamic and constantly evolving. A few years ago the primary interest in tranSMART was expressed by large pharmaceutical companies in Europe and the US (including Janssen, Sanofi, Pfizer, Roche) and large academic consortia (including IMI eTRIKS, IMI EMIF).
At the moment we are observing a growing interest among European academic hospitals and medical centers, including large nation-wide initiatives around centralized healthcare and medical data systems.
Since the merger of the i2b2 and tranSMART foundations in May 2017, the two communities proactively collaborate and interact with each other. We are curious to see what the shaping of the new i2b2-tranSMART community will lead to.
The role of The Hyve in tranSMART development
The Hyve has been playing an important role in the development of the platform since our company was established in 2012. Our major contributions to tranSMART include our involvement in a.o. the TraIT/Health RI and the IMI EMIF projects.
One of the most recent developments of The Hyve in the world of tranSMART is the development of tranSMART 17.1, a large refactoring and development project sponsored by Pfizer, Sanofi, Abbvie and Roche to primarily expand the functionality of tranSMART and to modernize the platform.
What The Hyve can do for you
The services we provide for tranSMART include:
- Demos and user training, including both the generic overview of functionality and capabilities. The training can be tailored to your specific use cases.
- Deployment, both locally and in the cloud, integrating it in your IT infrastructure.
- Transforming and loading your data in tranSMART, developing automated ETL procedures to automatically update your instance with newly generated data.
- Data warehousing consultancy. We evaluate your current IT landscape and your needs. We can advise whether tranSMART or i2b2 are a good fit for your request.
If you have questions or want to know more, please contact us.
If you want to read more on tranSMART, check out our blogposts.